This week we had yet another new Prime Minister walk into number 10. Whatever your politics, there is something a little dizzying about the sheer number we seem to get through at the moment. Seven in a decade. Each comes with promises and hopes and then the inevitable disappointments. It feels a bit, at times, like a revolving door of people who were going to fix things.
I don't say that to be cynical - I genuinely pray that Andy Burnham and his team will do well, and I hope they do. But it does make you wonder how much we pin our hopes on earthly kingdoms and the people who lead them.
Tomorrow we'll be singing Ancient of Days, I’ve quoted this before, but it carries a line that feels particularly timely this week: "kingdoms rise and fall, there is still one king reigning over all."
If we are feeling a little weary by yet another change in power, this isn’t an excuse for disengagement - we should care deeply about how our country is led. We must pray, and remain hopeful - but this song reminds us that we have another, far more secure anchor. Governments come and go. Leaders rise and fall. And through all of it, there is one who does not change, does not resign, and does not let us down. As the writer to the Hebrews puts it: "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." That's an anchor worth holding onto.
No comments:
Post a Comment