Tuesday 8 August 2017

Heart in worship....



I’m on holiday this week, and before you start thinking that I’ve so committed to the cause that I’m writing this whilst drinking a glass of vino in the pool, I haven’t… I’m writing it in advance, sorry about that! #sorrynotsorry

On Sunday morning we sung the song ‘My Lighthouse’ – it’s a favourite particularly with the kids, and has a great tune and some great lyrics. Have you considered it’s lyrics properly however? “My lighthouse, shining in the darkness, I will follow you” – When was the last time you followed a lighthouse? Surely you avoid them? Isn’t that the point?!

I need to thank some comedian who came to Trinity a few years ago for pointing this one out, but as I was preparing for Sunday’s worship, it got me thinking about other worship songs and how we can often end up blindly singing them.

Paul Baloche is one of my favourite worship song writers but really, is Jesus ‘like a rose, trampled on the ground’? What does that even mean?

The hymns don’t get away with it either – when was the last time you used the word ‘Potentate’? But we often sing it in our churches (Crown him with many Crowns) without a second thought. At least this makes sense (Potentate means ruler) but do we really expect people to know what it means? We may as well be singing in Latin again.

When in Nailsea the other worship leaders and I would often send new song ideas around for comment. One of them suggested a song with the opening line “Oh Grace what have you done, murdered for me on that cross” – I didn’t like it because I wasn’t convinced it would inspire the right feeling for worship, but I was tempted by it because it would, with language like that, make us to sit up and take note of what we were singing. 

How often do the things we sing pass us by without us really thinking about it?

I found this clip a few years ago and used it one of my talks, I expect it will appear at St Paul’s in the future….


If you can’t watch it, then essentially it’s a naughty take on the way we might sometimes worship… it’s changed some of the words of some songs to things like “I will sing of your love on Sundays”, “I surrender some” and “I stand amazed at my hairdo”

It’s a little naughty, but perhaps illustrates my point…. Do we need to think more when we worship, not simply trot off the lines, but really use them as a prayer?

Some of my favourite songs have lines like “spirit break out” or “break my heart for what breaks yours” but what are we thinking when we sing this? Are we truly expecting God’s spirit to break out? Are we trusting that it will? What would it mean if our hearts were broken for the things which break His?

The Choristers prayer, written in the 1930s got this right when it says “Lord, grant that what we sing with our lips we might believe in our hearts” If we don’t do this, are we just going through the motions. If that’s the case, really, what is the point?

I want to put the heart back into worship (that’s a lyric I can agree with!) to sing what I mean and to mean what I sing…. Will you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment